If you are looking for a quick DIY to add some rustic charm to your Christmas tree, look no further! I finally have gathered all the supplies and sat down to compile a blog post on how to make your own DIY burlap garland. I have even included a time lapse video, at the end, to show you just how easy and quick it is to make your own!
- 5″ burlap ribbon (not wired) or whatever width you desire
- thick thread like embroidery floss
- large sewing needle with dull tip
- First you are going to cut your burlap ribbon to whatever size you desire. Just remember that if you cut a 24″ piece that your final result may only be 12″ or less. So keep that in mind when cutting your length!
- Next you are going to thread your needle with your embroidery floss. If I was using a 24″ piece of burlap I would cut a 48″ piece of thread. I would also tie a knot at the end of the thread including both ends…NOT like when you are hand sewing and only tie one end of the thread.
- Loop your thread through the burlap and tie a knot (I usually tie a few knots) to secure it to the ribbon. Now your thread is nice and secure so when you start to gather your burlap, it won’t pop the thread!
- Make a zig-zag pattern with the thread, on the burlap ribbon. The wider the zig-zag the bigger the gather, or ruffle. If you make a tighter zig-zag pattern, you will also end up with a shorter piece of garland.
- After you have done a few rows, you will want to start to cinch your ribbon because your thread will be getting shorter. Don’t panic! You will have more than enough…
- Keep zig-zagging and cinching, till you have reached the end of your ribbon! Once you have finished with the ribbon, tie another knot (or two) to secure it. Voila! You just made your own DIY burlap garland!
I made 4 – 3 ft. DIY burlap garlands to use on my 7.5′ King of Christmas tree. I love the way it adds a little warmth to my flocked tree!
There are so many ways that you can use this garland besides on your Christmas tree! It would look fabulous draped on a mantel, mirror, or a console table. I would love to hear where you would put this in your home!
DIY Burlap Garland
Here is a short video that shows you how quick and easy it is, to make this DIY burlap garland.
If you enjoyed this blog post, you may also like to read: