Looking for a new way to add some light to your bed without mounting it to the wall? Let me show you how to add a DIY headboard light with a plug-in wall lamp, in just a few easy steps! You will need some knowledge on how to install lighting, or contact a licensed electrician to assist you in rewiring the plug. There are just 5 easy steps to install your DIY headboard light!
This post contains affiliate links.*
Supplies for DIY Headboard Light
- plug-in wall lamp
- 1/2″ drill bit
- metal file
- wire cutters/strippers
- wire twist locks
- electrical tape
- tape measure
1. Unscrew mounting plate from back of DIY headboard light.
This is what your lamp will look like when the mounting plate is removed.
2. Next step is to drill a hole in the center of the mounting plate with a 1/2″ drill bit (or whichever size accommodates the thickness of the plug wire).
3. Using a metal file, file down the rough edges caused by the drill bit. You may also use a hammer to flatten the metal, prior to filing.
4. Measure and mark where your mounting plate is going to go. Using the 1/2″ drill bit, drill through the headboard to create a hole to feed your plug wire through. Finish installing mounting plate with included screws.
5. Secure lamp to mounting plate and you are ready to use!
This is such a fun way to add lighting to a bedroom and make a statement to your headboard. Not only is it functional, but it adds so much character to a plain headboard. My little girls are loving being able to read in their beds at night!
If you enjoyed this blog post, you may also like to read:
*Affiliate links do not cost you any extra, but allow me to receive a very small commission if you purchase an item I’ve recommended through that link. Your support with that allows me to continue to bring you DIYs and great content while keeping my blog ad free – and I am so appreciative of your continued support!